You are here: Library > Provenance
DeutschEnglish

In the rare books collection

Volumes from the collection of R. Elze

The library of the Monumenta Germaniae Historica has its origins in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The medieval philologist Ludwig Traube laid the keystone with the donation of his private library, gathered over decades of research, to the Monumenta on his death in 1907. Traube’s collection contained a large selection of old books derived in particular from secularised monasteries. An alphabetical list of the titles is available for download here. (PDF, 8 MB)

An important supplement to this collection was the library of Oswald Holder-Egger, which was also enriched with many books from secularised libraries. Holder-Egger, the designated but never officially instated chairman of the central board of directors, bequeathed his collection to the MGH in 1911.Thereafter, the library being seldom in the position to buy old books, the further growth of the antiquarian collection was largely dependent on the bequests of individual members or associated scholars such as:

W. Arndt, F. Baethgen, F. Bock, F. Böhmer, A. Boretius, K. A. Eckhardt, R. Elze, J. Ficker, J. Grimm, H. Grundmann, P. Hinschius, A. Hofmeister, R. and W. Holtzmann, P. F. Kehr, R. Koser, K. and M. Manitius, G. H. Pertz, L. v. Ranke, F. and K. Weigle, L. Weiland, P. v. Winterfeld, K. Zangemeister or K. Zeumer. A number of minor publications and offprints came to the MGH from the libraries of Wilhelm Levison and Bernhard Bischoff. Together with Bischoff’s notes, which are stored in the archive of the MGH, these are all recorded and accessible through the OPAC. [more on Bernhard Bischoff’s library]